Saturday, October 6, 2012

Stepping Out In Faith, Part 3


I would like for us to look at Romans 8:6-7 for a few moments. I believe oftentimes that we give far too much credit to the devil. It is true that the thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy (according to John 10:10); we’re all familiar with that. But how does he seek to steal, kill, and destroy? What is it that he’s after? 

More than anything else, he’s after the Word of God. He doesn’t want the Word of God working in you towards the renewing of your mind. If the enemy works anywhere, it’s in the mind. His most effective weapon is distraction. He knows that if we ever get our minds renewed and our lives transformed, then we’ll be proving what is the good, acceptable, and perfect will of God. That is definitely something he doesn't want! The perfect will of God for you is His purpose for your life. The enemy's goal is to keep you from fulfilling that purpose. 

As Romans tells us, if you get your mind renewed, then your life is transformed. “Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind . . . ” The whole purpose of that is so that we might know and do the will of God. And why is the will of God important? Well, even from a selfish point of view, it is important because in doing the will of God, we find peace and contentment. We find fulfillment.

A few weeks ago, somebody who had not seen me in years asked me: “Emory, are you happy?” I chuckled and said, “Happy, hmmm, happy. Happiness can vary from day to day.” I said, “I can tell you this much, I’m very fulfilled and content. I know that I’m doing what God created me to do.” What greater fulfillment can there be? Am I happy? No, I’m not always happy. Some things make me mad. Some things make me unhappy. Some things make me laugh. Some things make me cry. So the issue isn’t, “Are you happy”; the issue is, “Have you found the will of God for your life and are you content and fulfilled in it?”

Now there are steps that each of us are going to have to take toward the direction of fulfilling God’s will in our lives. It is not a simple matter of “give this up and give that up.” As long as you view your Christian experience that way, then you’re going to struggle because you’ll always feel like you’re having to give something up and you’re not getting anything in return. As a result, your expectations may not be met because you think that Christianity is “giving up and giving up and giving up,” and it’s not. Christianity summed up in a few words means, “Following Christ.” When you follow Christ, you fulfill God’s will and purpose in your life, and therein you find true peace and fulfillment.

Now, Romans 8:6 talks about the carnal mind, and Paul reminds us that to be carnally minded is death. What is death? MTS students, do you remember? In simple terms, death is separation from life. What is life? God is life, right? We know that is what the Scripture says. Therefore, to be carnally minded means that you are separated from God. Carnally minded equals death, but to be spiritually minded equates to life!

I believe that we all still have some level of carnality in our thinking. If you don’t think so, then you just proved that you do! The carnal mind is at enmity against God. I want you to understand the seriousness of this. Our carnal mind is God’s enemy. I’m going to let you "selah" on that. 

When I follow my carnal mind, or when I yield or submit to it, I am setting myself at enmity against God. If you're doing that, I’m not saying that you’re going to go to hell or that you’re backslidden. All I am saying is that when we are operating in carnality, we are separating ourselves from God. That’s why to be carnally minded is death. 

My carnal mind is at enmity against God. When I partner with that or come into agreement with my carnal mind, then the stage is set for that thing to be accomplished. Remember that the Word says, “That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 18:19, KJV).

Is it any wonder that to be carnally minded leads to poverty, pain, frustration, and unrest? Why? Because we’re walking in agreement with that which is at enmity against God. Who do you think is going to win?

This is all part of the subject of stepping out in faith in order to obtain the promises of God. I’m not quite finished with this topic yet and will continue to develop it in the next couple of blogs. Thank you very much for being part of our lives; Vickie and I count it a privilege and a joy to be part of yours!

~ pg  

No comments: