Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Powerful Gospel, Part 3

There is a question that has boggled my mind for a number of years, and here it is: If we are Christians, and the Bible says that we have the mind of Christ, then how come we are all still thinking so differently if we’re drawing from the same source? The varying viewpoints on basic spiritual issues would make one think that Jesus is some sort of schizophrenic or something. I mean we can’t even agree on something as simple as the Ten Commandments. Now if you ask people in the church, “Do you believe in the Ten Commandments?” I can pretty much guess that there would be one hundred percent unanimity. Oh, come on, almost everyone is going to say that they believe in them.

With that being said, there’s this one commandment that says, “Thou shalt not kill,” which means to take innocent life/murder. Now, if we all agree that we should not murder, then how can the church be so divided on something as simple as abortion? Huh? Why is the church divided on this issue? “Well, there’s a lot more to it than that.” Oh yeah? Murder is murder: the taking of an innocent life. Tell me of a life that is more innocent than that of a baby in its mother’s womb. That baby hasn't even been birthed yet or done half of what you and I have done. Come on, somebody. Yet we can’t even agree.

Then we’ll hear this argument from Christians, “You know, there are a lot of other issues.” It all begins with life, that’s the first thing that needs to be dealt with. “No, it’s the economy.” I haven't heard that one in a while. Anytime we put economics ahead of life, do you know what we get? A big mess!

Then this gets thrown in the mix: “We don’t need God. We have our experts; we’ve got this; we can handle it.” Oh really? No, it’s not just America; look at the state of the world today. Man rejects the same Gospel of Christ wherein Paul wrote, “I am not ashamed.” One of the problems in the church today is that she has grown ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. May I say it? The church has grown ashamed! Do you want to know how I know? Because I know how intimidating it can be to stand up for Christ in a worldly culture. We know we ought to say something, but don’t do it because we fear rejection. We can all identify with what that feels like.

In light of the above, we need to keep in mind that we are carriers of the Truth. Do you know that God has given you and I a special assignment? He has granted unto us a special privilege. I’m going to be honest. I laid in my bed recently and repented for neglecting, taking for granted, and treating lightly what God has entrusted to me, Emory Goodman. You see, I know where I was before I got saved, and I have a pretty good gauge on where I am today, and I had to plead guilty. I had treated it lightly; I had stepped on it; I had walked on it; I had neglected it; I had taken for granted what God has entrusted to me.

God must see something very unique and special in you and I, for He has entrusted unto us His truth and His life. I think that perhaps the greatest purpose for which Christ came, died, and was raised from the dead . . . it wasn’t so much to save us from sin . . . it wasn’t to simply give us access to heaven. He came to prepare a place in us, a place wherein the Spirit of Almighty God could dwell. He came to prepare a temple, and that temple is you. The only way that He could properly prepare us is by first washing us in Christ’s blood. You weren’t just being forgiven of your sins! You were being called out and your life was being dedicated to Almighty God as something holy. As a result, the way was prepared for Him to take up residence in you! One of the greatest miracles of salvation is the indwelling of God’s Spirit. God’s Spirit coming to dwell in you and I. You have God on the inside of you!

God’s miracle-working Gospel and power are alive and well in us today. It’s time for Christians to rise up and grasp hold of everything that He has provided so that we may be living demonstrations of His powerful Gospel!

~ pg

No comments: