Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Powerful Gospel, Part 5

Many want forgiveness, but they do not want to repent. Repentance does not simply mean, “God, I’m sorry. Oops, I did it again.” Repentance involves a sincere change of heart and mind and a determination to change the way I think. In order to change the way I think, I must get my mind renewed. In order to get my mind renewed, I must study to show myself approved unto God, a worker who needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth.

A church without the Holy Ghost is simply an institution offering a religious experience. Now I’m gonna go out on a limb and some may not like it, but that’s okay. It’s my humble opinion that we’re seeing extremes in the Church today. We’re seeing a lot of what is being put forth as spirituality, and many people are basing their Christianity more on their feelings and experience than they are on the Word of God.

I had a lengthy discussion about this again with Apostle Kelly when we were together in Connecticut. The level of spiritual frivolity is very disturbing. Spiritual frivolity: not a whole lot of substance, not a whole lot of Word, not a whole lot of life-transforming truth being preached, but everybody comes mainly to have a good time. I can go to a rock concert and have a good time! I need truth. I need the Word. I need conviction. I need transformation. I need repentance. Repentance is a good thing! I don’t need to simply learn about heaven coming down to earth; I need to understand that hell is just as real. I’m all for heaven touching earth, but you better know that if you aren’t getting heaven, you’re getting hell.

Let’s look at Jeremiah 1:12. This is where it comes down to the nuts and bolts, the practical application for this week. God had given Jeremiah a vision, and He asked Jeremiah what he saw, so he told Him. God let Jeremiah know that he had seen well, and then He reaffirmed it in chapter 1, verse 12:

12 Then the Lord said to me, “You have seen well, for I am ready to perform My word.”

One thing that God wants you and I to know is that He does not slumber. He doesn’t grow tired; you can’t wear Him out and neither can the devil. God is active and alert. He’s wide-awake, and He doesn’t need Red Bull or RockStar. The Scripture in the Amplified says that He is active and ready to perform His Word.

I remember on one occasion meeting with a doctor in regard to my late wife. I went into his office alone and he said, “Well, Pastor Goodman, you know I’m a Christian.” I said, “Wow, I didn’t know that, that’s great.” He replied with, “Yeah, I go church almost every week. Now maybe the difference between us is this: I really don’t believe in a God who needs to be involved with my daily life and decisions.” To which I replied, “Well, yes, then there is a difference because I believe in a God whom I need involved in my day-to-day life.” The doctor said, “I just believe that God gives us knowledge and wisdom and the ability to make our own decisions,” and I said, “Yes, He’s given us the ability to make our own decisions, that’s why I need Him in my everyday life because I’m prone to going the wrong way.” Evidently this doctor didn’t think that he had a propensity to make bad decisions and that he didn’t need God.

We can see how “accurate” everyone is in his or her own opinion and knowledge base, huh? Man, all of the financial experts and all of the medical experts, people practically aren’t dying anymore today, right? And it’s like man is saying to God, “We got this, God, we don’t need You in our day-to-day life.” Well, you know what? We need Him in our daily life. When I’m getting out of bed, I’m tempted to say, “Hey, God, I’m getting out of bed now. Please keep a close eye on me because I’m prone to going the wrong direction and doing what I shouldn't.”

I had someone say this to me just the other day, “Oh Pastor Goodman, we need you to do this, and we need you to do that, and you don’t know how people are looking to you.” I said, “Brother, don’t be putting that weight on me; if you see a red “S” on my chest, it doesn’t stand for “Superman,” it stands for “Stupid.” I know some of you right now are correcting me in your mind saying, “You’re not stupid, you’re one of the smartest guys I know.” Ha!

God is alert, active, and ready to perform His Word in you! What’s that tell us? Get the Word coming out of your mouth! Change the way you talk. You say, “How do I do that?” Change the way you think! “And how do I do that?” Change what’s in your heart.

“Your Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against Thee.”
“Guard your heart for out of it flow the issues of life."


God is looking to perform His Word in you and through you. God can be tested. He doesn’t mind being tested, and you know why? Because He’s faithful. Get the Word coming out of your mouth. Finances? Speak the Word. Healing? Speak the Word. Don’t ever stop speaking the Word.

“Speak the Word only, and My servant shall be healed.”

Let’s be diligent to get the Word in our hearts and coming out of our mouths that we might be a demonstration of the Gospel of the Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ! Amen?

Father, we thank You for Your Word. May it be forever sealed and indelibly marked upon our hearts today. I pray that each person who reads this will have something to take with them and apply to their lives, homes, marriage, business, finances, whatever it is, God, that he or she may implement this message in some practical way. May we not be of the camp that is involved in preaching a powerless Gospel, for Your kingdom, Lord, is not one that is lacking in power. It is the power of God unto salvation, and we thank You for that which is working in our lives today!

 ~ pg

No comments: