Monday, May 13, 2013

The Triumphant Church, Part 8

Now let’s briefly discuss the issue of spiritual authority. Scripture serves to remind us that Jesus Christ has been granted “all authority in heaven and earth.” In turn, He has seen fit to delegate this authority to believers. However, it would benefit the world, the church, and individuals to keep in mind that true authority begins in our own lives. Christians who lack spiritual discipline are unable to walk in true biblical authority.
 
How in the world are we going to exercise authority over the whole earth when we don’t even know how to do it in our own homes? I remember years ago there was a young couple that came to see us for counseling. They were relaying how God had called them into ministry and how they were going to cast out devils and destroy the powers of darkness. At the same time, their young child was running around, tearing stuff up, and acting very disobedient and obnoxious. I said, “Now, let me get this straight. You all think that you’re going to go take dominion over the powers of darkness, and you don’t even exercise authority over a two-year old? The first thing you need to do is to go home and take some authority over your own house."
 
Are we really qualified to represent God’s government when we desperately lack self-governance? Make no mistake about it; you are here to exercise power over the devil.  You have a very real enemy, and his name is Satan. He roams about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour, and we are to remain on guard and resist him! Peter said, “Who resists steadfast in the faith.” If you don’t resist him, he’ll just have his way with you. He’ll have his way with your stuff, your family, your money, your health, and your peace of mind. Your life will be a wreck.
 
Many come to church on Sundays and say, “Oh, yes, I love Jesus.” Yet, Jesus said, “Why do you say that you love me, but you don’t do what I told you to do?”  It's the same way in some relationships! “Why do you say you love me, but then you go out and mess around?” “Why do you say you love me, but you’re not committed to me?” Jesus said, "If you love Me, you’ll do what I say." That’s a hard word, and sometimes we don’t want to hear it. “Oh, I love You, Jesus; I love You, Jesus.” He says, “Good! I want you to . . ." And then you say, “I can’t do that, Jesus.” He says, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord’?” We have to get our thinking straight!
 
The Church is called to rule and reign with Christ; this must begin in our own lives and homes. If we are not able to rule our own lives, how will we be qualified to rule the earth?

Grace and peace,
Pastor Emory

No comments: