Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Old Dog Learns Lessons

Many of you are aware that I recently “ran” my first official 10K race. First of all, I want to report that there is good and bad news. The good news: I ran the race, I finished the course that was before me, and I even received a medal at the end.

The bad news: I did not finish nearly as well as intended. In fact, I was third to last.


What I want to share is that there were a few lessons learned by this old dog! One of those is that young Dominicans run fast! In fact, many of them ran the entire course in half the time it took me, and that’s because they can run twice as fast!


I was also able to discern a few parallels between running a 10K race and our spiritual journey.


#1 Preparation Is Everything!
I came to realize that I was not nearly as prepared for this event as I should have been and could have been. Diet, Rest, and Exercise are of utmost importance (especially the older and more mature we become). It is easy to think, “I’ve got this,” when we have not prepared and planned properly.


#2 No Excuses!
The truth is that I had slept only about two hours the night before the run. In addition, I could not even find a cup of coffee the morning of the event! I wanted to say, “Forget this, let’s go to the beach instead!”


#3 Passion Is Essential!
My inner man kept saying, “We will run this race and finish the course.” There was an excitement on the inside that caused me to move forward. I could see myself finishing the race before it even started.


#4 This Was A CHALLENGE, Not A COMPETITION!
This is perhaps the most important lesson. We are not competing against other runners. We have a challenge set before us, and it is more about accomplishing something that honors God and brings personal reward as well.


Those are just a few of the highlights of my experience; there are more. I believe they relate to our spiritual journey as well.


We must take time to properly prepare and become “skilled in the Word of righteousness.” Scripture says that God prepares our hands for war, but we must be willing to give Him our hands. In addition, when we stand before Christ, we will be without excuse. Our works will be judged, and we will receive His just reward or suffer loss. It is essential to keep the fire burning, stir up the gifts that are in us, and remain passionate for the King and His Kingdom. This may seem more difficult as we age. Finally, keep in mind, this is our own personal walk; we are not competing against other believers, churches, ministries, etc.


Christ has set a path before us; may we run the entire length! I pray each of us fights the fight, runs the race, finishes the course, and obtains a crown!


I'd like to personally thank all who gave generous donations for this fundraiser! Over $500 was raised which will go towards an upcoming, strategic endeavor. May God bless you mightily!


Grace and Peace,
PG

No comments: