Thursday, July 3, 2014

What's Love Got To Do With It?

Colossians 3:12 says that, “Therefore as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering . . .” The author of Colossians is saying that we have to put these things on; they may not always be part of our personal wardrobe.

Before we open our mouths, it would be great if we’d think quickly and “change our clothes,” in a figurative sense. We should put on tender mercies instead of judgment or criticism. Put on kindness instead of anger and wrath. Put on humility! Meekness is not weakness, but strength under restraint.

You might say, “Well, I won’t be anybody’s doormat.” Tell that to Jesus! “I get tired of doing that stuff; we’re not supposed to let people walk on us.” Noooo, we’re supposed to turn the other cheek!

I’m going to challenge you to do something that I personally began doing. I’ve begun to go through my Bible and write the red print (in longhand, not typing it on my computer). I’m writing out every word that Jesus spoke. It’s not that big of a task; He really didn’t say all that much, even in the four Gospel accounts.

They say that if you hear something that your retention is about 20%. If you write something though, it increases significantly. As I’m writing Christ’s words, it really brings the message home. I challenge you! I’ve been a Christian for well over thirty years; I’m not boasting in that fact, but what I am saying is that I’m still learning from the red print.

Everything I need to know can be found in Jesus’ words! If I could just do what the red print tells me to do, then I wouldn’t have to worry about anything else! It’s amazing. I was writing the Beatitudes the other day, and I came under conviction. “Oh Lord, help me to be a peacemaker.” He says, “Come and follow Me, and I’ll teach you how to be a peacemaker.” It’s so simple; we try to complicate it. Jesus made it so easy that even a caveman could understand.

Look at verse 13: “Bearing with one another.” Now what does that mean? It means putting up with one another. “Forgiving one another,” means to forgive people, to let it go! “Yeah, but . . .” LET IT GO! “But you don’t know . . .” LET IT GO! That’s what forgiveness is.

God knows everything about us, yet He lets it go. When we confess our sins and repent, He forgives us. So if you want to be more like Jesus, then just let it go! It’s not helping you a bit to keep it. In fact, it’s hurting you! It will make you downright sick if you hang onto it long enough.

“If anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14 But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.”  15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 

Let me tell you that if you don’t walk in the bond of love, you will not experience peace. When you walk in love, you let the transgression go; you don’t hold it against anyone.

I believe that these verses show a progression.
  • Put on love.
  • Let the peace of God rule your heart.
  • Be thankful.
It’s hard to be thankful when you don’t have peace in your heart.
It’s hard to have peace in your heart when you’re not walking in love.
It’s hard to walk in love when you’ve fallen away from your first love.
So what is the solution? The solution is found in returning to your first love!

Grace & peace,
PG

No comments: