Saturday, July 6, 2013

Building Wisely, Part 3

Greetings! Vickie and I have had a very productive week here in the Dominican Republic, and we pray all is going well in your lives, too. We have begun a new semester of Ministry Training School and have also had the opportunity to be involved with some exciting outreaches in our local community of Sosua. We’ll be sending out a ministry update in the near future.

For now though, I’d like to turn our attention back to the topic of the Foundational Principles of the Doctrine of Christ as found in Hebrews 6:1-2:
 
  • Repentance From Dead Works
  • Faith Toward God
  • Doctrine Of Baptisms
  • Laying On Of Hands
  • Resurrection Of The Dead
  • Eternal Judgment
 
These are essential truths regarded as being the doctrine of Christ. The writer says, “Let each one take heed.” In other words, give attention to this, believers! Pay attention to how you’re building! This is very important. In fact, I submit to you that our eternal rewards, or loss of such, depend upon how we build. I’m not talking about salvation; Paul makes that very clear. But all of our works will be judged, and we will be rewarded, or we will suffer loss of reward accordingly.

Paul is saying that he wants every believer to experience an abundant reward and to suffer a minimum of loss. I have to humbly confess to you that I am convinced I will suffer some degree of loss when I stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ. You know what? I’m going to find out that I’ve been wrong about some things. Oh, there is deliverance when you come to a place in your life—maybe it comes with being sixty—where you actually consider, “I could be wrong.” If you think you’re the only one in the room who’s right, then you’re wrong.
 
But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it” (1 Corinthians 3:10-13).
 
What Day? The Great Day of Judgment! Again, part of my responsibility lies in this: I am to remind folks that there is coming a day when each of us will stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ, and we will each give an account for our lives.

In other words, we will be held accountable . . . not only for our actions, but also for our words. Our own words will either condemn us or bring us reward. That’s the teaching of Jesus! So be mindful of what you say. Don’t always be like me. Sometimes I don’t think until I’ve already said it, and then I shouldn’t have always said it! Am I the only one?

He says the fire will test each one’s work to determine what sort it is. So all of our works and how we have built them will be judged. Once again, note that he has said to take heed how we build not what we have built! Did you notice that? Take heed HOW you build. Not WHAT you build. What you build will be determined by how you build.  But how you build is not always determined by what you build.

I feel like I cannot emphasize that strongly enough. How we build is what motivates us. A lot of people can have the appearance of success, but in the end suffer tremendous loss.
 

14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire” (1 Corinthians 3:14-15).

We see rewards and loss; we’re not talking about salvation. If you are born again, you’re getting in! You’re qualified; the ticket’s been punched; you’re good. I’m not talking about salvation or eternal security. I’m talking about eternal rewards versus suffering the loss of reward.  Salvation is free. Heaven is free. Eternal life is free.

Rewards are EARNED! We don’t like that word in church. We don’t like to think of anything being earned. Well, if we don’t earn anything, don’t expect to get much! What we are rewarded with is determined by how we build. So we need to be mindful, not simply thinking about what we’re building, but how. Motivation is key.

We’ll continue this discussion next week. Thanks again for joining me! Your thoughts and prayers are always greatly appreciated, and Vickie and I pray for you as well.
 
Grace and peace,
pg

No comments: