Monday, July 22, 2013

Building Wisely, Part 5

Greetings! We were so blessed to have had my son and daughter-in-law with us last week. It was a great time of ministry, and we’re seeing God do so much in our community. Thank you for praying for us!

We’ve been talking about building wisely. One of the questions we’ve addressed focuses on why we do what we do. A lot of us are capable of doing a lot of things . . . building a lot of buildings . . . starting a lot of programs . . . doing a lot of things that look good. Believe me, if all it took were money to do effective missions, Haiti should have been saved fifty years ago. Likewise, if all it took were toothpaste, food, or beans and rice, Haiti would be the “pearl of the Antilles” that it once was.

It’s not simply a matter of what we’re doing; it’s also how and why we do it. Here’s a standard of judgment that can be useful: Am I bringing glory to God, and am I bringing increase to His kingdom? I believe we should seek to glorify God in all things, and as laborers in His field, we should be seeking to bring increase to His kingdom. In order to do that, we’re going to have to build wisely.

I’d like us to consider 1 Chronicles 28:9. This passage is regarding King David, and as you know, he wanted to build a “house” for the Lord . . . a resting place for the Ark of the Covenant. God basically said, “No, I’ll give you the plans, but you’re not the one who’s going to build it because you’ve been a man of war and have shed blood.” But here’s what David says to Solomon, and I thought it was profound. David said, “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father.”

Let me stop right there; I’m going to boast about one of my children for just a moment. I read a Facebook post the other day from my youngest daughter, Jessica. She said, “I want to thank my Daddy, Emory Goodman, for teaching me how to love God, love others, and live life to the fullest.” It brought tears to this old man’s eyes; it just really touched my heart. I thought to myself, “Wow, praise God, she got it!” Listen to me, parents, they’ll get it; trust me. They’re gonna get it! We are responsible to teach them to serve our God. It’s up to us to be sure we’re serving the right one!

“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind.” That’s another sermon right there! Serve God with a loyal heart and a willing mind for the Lord searches all hearts. That’s not for you and I to do. We can’t do it no matter how good we think we are at it. Like I said before, half the time we don’t know what’s in our own hearts! Maybe that’s why we focus so much on the speck in our brother’s eye and don’t seem to notice the big ‘ol beam in our own.

The Lord searches all hearts and understands the intent of the thoughts. The Word of God is quick, powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword even to the dividing asunder of the spirit from the soul, bone from the marrow, thoughts from the intents of the heart (derived from Hebrews 4:12).

If you seek Him, you will find Him. If you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever. “Consider now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house for the sanctuary; be strong and do it” (1 Chronicles 28:10).

I want to say this for those of you who are involved with the Lord’s work, which ought to be every one of us, regardless of vocation. Whatever God has called you to do, be strong and do it! Don’t be weak and quit. Get the job done! Finish well! You started good; finish well! You started on fire, don’t burn out. Keep the flame burning (that is on you to do). You can do that by encouraging yourself in the Lord on a regular, daily basis. Refresh your memory as to why you’re where you are and Who it is that has called you. Keep your eyes on the prize! Look beyond the cross. Be strong and do whatever it is that God has called you to do.

Vickie and I pray for you on a regular basis, and we are excited to see and hear what God is doing in your lives as you continue to build on Him!

Grace and peace,
pg


No comments: